Friday, November 2, 2012

So Many Words

Since Noah started school this year, SO many words have been thrown about to describe Noah. Noah was bumped up from Kindergarten to 1st grade 11 days after he started.  He was acting out so badly that I thought he would be suspended in a matter of a month or two.  Yes, it was that bad.  Of course, the teacher we had, had no patience whatsoever for children and their antics. It was an awful situation. 

God answers my prayers and Noah was placed into 1st grade and was placed with a teacher who accepts Noah for Noah. She has embraced his "quirkiness" and does her best to bring out the better part of him.  "Quirky" is one of Noah's descriptive words. I have described him with that since he was a baby.  Noah is not a normal child.  Now I understand that there is no such thing as a "normal" child, but Noah is far from the description of the other children.  Noah's teacher recognizes this and has told me he is "GT" aka gifted and talented.  Noah seems to be able to learn things after only be told one time.  While this is AWESOME for him personally, in class this is awful.  All the other children require things to be taught numerous times before they understand.  Noah has told me he gets bored, and when he gets bored, watch out. 

The final word that has been mentioned in "Aspergers." Noah would be a minor case, but he definitely has characteristics.  We are going to have him evaluated, but the wait time is AWFUL.  So now we wait. Even if he is not classified, I am hoping for recommendations.

Overall, what everyone has told me.  Noah is a very SMART child.  He needs to be kept on his toe, which I already knew, that was one of the challenges we had when he was a baby.  Noah is a loving child, he does better with adults.  He takes time to process interactions with other, sometimes 24hrs+.  He has to think about things and the way they each acted before he can determine if he owes someone an apology.  While this can be difficult for others to understand, he has to have time and people need to understand that not all children are the same and Noah is one of the awesome special ones. I love my Noah and I would not change him a bit!

No comments: